Lead poisoning is especially dangerous because often it is not detected until levels within the body have become dangerously high. Children who have been lead poisoned may experience symptoms such as irritability, loss of appetite, weight loss and vomiting. More troubling complications that can arise are serious developmental delays and learning difficulties, which can persist throughout the lifetime of the child.
Adults who are lead poisoned can experience severe mood disorders and memory loss, as well as elevated blood pressure and abdominal pain. There are treatments available for lead poisoned individuals, however, in severe cases, it may not be possible to reverse the damage that has been caused.
The infographic below is part of Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. Flint Water Crisis series of infographics. It details important data related to the elevated lead levels that were identified in Flint.