Here are some of the interesting statistics that you may not know:
- Texas was an independent nation from 1836 to 1845. When it was annexed in 1845, it retained the right to fly its flag at the same height as the national flag.
- The World’s first rodeo was in Pecos, TX and occurred on July 4, 1883.
- The battle cry “Remember the Alamo!” is usually thought to be said by Sam Houston but was actually coined by Sidney Sherman. Sherman was a Texas general.
- The most popular snack foods in Texas are Frito pies (a bag of Fritos mixed with chili, cheese, and onions eaten straight from the bag), peanuts in Dr Pepper, jalapenos, beef jerky, and corn dogs.
- King Ranch, located in South Texas, is larger than Rhode Island.
- More wool comes from the state of Texas than any other state in the United States.
- If you live in North Texas and the Panhandle then you’ve probably seen quite a few tornadoes. With an average of 139 tornadoes per year, Texas experiences the most in the United States.
- Aransas Wildlife Refuge is the winter home of North America’s only remaining flock of whooping cranes.
Best regards y’all,